mercredi 2 janvier 2013

45 - 6 - 10 – 16 - 5 - 3510 (ENGLISH)


2012 is gone and we didn’t get that end of the world all the media had told us (a lot!) about. Good thing though as it gives me a chance to present you a series of “2012 Live shows” awards. Over the last twelve months, I went to quite a lot of live shows – some were reviewed on this blog – and it’s a good opportunity to make some retrospective…
 
In category “Those who are legends and that we wanted to see ‘for real’ before being buried six feet under (them or us, by the way)” : Paul McCartney, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, Alice Cooper et Slash.
 
These five were a true visual and auditive delight: having in front of your eyes artists that initially performed songs that are still legendary, it’s quite a thing… I still have a lot of tenderness thinking back of Lou Reed who seemed a bit tired but who still had magical fingers when it came to play guitar, I salute the charismatic energy of Patti Smith, I remember with great pleasure of the Lord of Darkness raising the crowd under such typical Belgian heavy rain and was glad to see that Slash found himself an amazing entourage to keep the Guns’n’Roses alive… without the Guns, actually.
Cherry on the cake was of course Sir Paul McCartney : when I was 8, I was telling everyone that “when I’m grown up, I’ll marry McCartney”. Years went by and somehow, I had more or less forgotten the idea to see him but he still had a big part of my heart. And then, here it is… we saw each other. Well, you know, he didn’t really see m but I was there, feeling a bit like in a dream, to be honest with you. Right in front of me, one of those men who made the History of Music. A “beautiful” man: a beautiful soul in a very energetic body. It may sound stupid to you but… at 35, I think I’m still in love with like I was when I was 8. And have that weird feeling that a guy like Paul McCartney will never die…
One last line for four other persons : I wasn’t going to that show only to see a former Beatles but also to “meet” Rusty Anderson, Brian Ray, Adrian Wickens and… Abraham « Teddy Bear » Laboriel Jr, his musicians.
 

 

In category “Those who weren’t expected but who smacked you on the face anyway”: The Ting Tings, Ed Sheeran, James Morrison, Milow, Jake Bugg, Ginger Wildheart, Joan As Police Woman.
 
I had listened to The Ting Tings’ albums and even if I liked them, I still wasn’t thinking it was extraordinary. Once the couple is on a stage, that’s a very different story. On stage, the Ting Tings is a great band: nice energy, great interaction with the audience… Say what what you wanna say but in the end, everything matters. Best proof is that I’ve since played their albums again and… don’t quite listen to them the same way! Great deal, those double T’s!
Ed Sheeran and James Morrison stand on a road that I fear to take most of the time… just because half of the teen kids – mostly the female version – blindly worship such artists based on a physical appearance. I know… not very nice but unfortunately, that’s mostly the case. That being written, after I heard those two at Rock Werchter, I told myself they had… well.. erm… balls: still not a fan but they at least got my respect that day.
Jake Bugg is a young fella barely out of teen age who impressed me with his six cords and his guitar skills despite a very noticeable stress as he was acting as Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds’ opening act. He impressed me enough to make me want to see him again as a main act.
Ginger Wildheart is one of those bands who burned a place down to the ground. Not a foregone bet knowing they were the opening act of… Slash. And yet, they rocked! Without much difficulty, they were approved by the audience and managed to make this one dance and sing even before the arrival of the guitarist with the famous hat.
Joan as a Police Woman moved me… during and after her performance. Opening act of Lou Reed, the young woman performed melodies that go straight to your heart with a soft and tender voice. On many occasions, I told myself she could have written songs for Jeff Buckley as her style was close to his, as her songs were dealing with deep sadness… Random shot or incredible feeling, I found out, after going back home, that Joan shared the life of a man before he sadly passed away. That man was… Jeff Buckley.
 

 

In category “Those who weren’t expected and that will be sent home without the second”: The Vaccines, Snow Patrol, Soko
 
I think it’s all in the title… Generally speaking, I don’t like to write mean lines on artists: you may find a few bad comments on my articles but you’ll never read a review speaking of an album or a live show that I didn’t like at all. Life’s too short to speak about things we don’t like: it’s better to share things we cared about, right?
People talked to me about The Vaccines being a great deal but… I didn’t feel anything. Same issue with Snow Patrol : I had the feeling of listening to the same tune all through their set.
Concerning Soko, I had that irrepressible desire of hitting her at the end of the third song. Don’t worry, I didn’t. 

In category “Those who rocked the place while not exactly living in the same world”: The Dropkick Murphys, Scissor Sisters, Keane
 
These three ones are the living proof that the atmosphere of a live show isn’t necessarily due to the style of music performed but to the people performing it. The Dropkick Murphys warmed up the Rock Werchter stage with their solid Irish-rock  while The Scissor Sisters, colorfully dressed, made the Ancienne Belgique crowd dance to their as much colored pop music and even managed to convince a few skeptic ones who were there that night that they were a very interesting band. Keane has showed all its power as a band on Le Cirque Royal stage where Tom Chaplin’s voice may still be around… somewhere.
 

 

 

 

In category “Those who made you cry and you didn’t even see those tears coming out of your eyes”: Paul McCartney, Mika, Noël Gallagher, Slash, Keane.
 
Did I cry during a live show? What do you think? If you seriously think you were dealing with a Terminator, you’d better turn to James Cameron for that kind of “person”… Of course I cried! Something for almost nothing, sometimes for a big thing; some tears of sadness, some tears of joy…
“The Long and Winding Road”, “Let It Be”, “Hey Jude”, “Happy Ending”, “Rain”, “Love Today”, “Underwater”, “If I Had A Gun”, “Talk Tonight”, “Don’t Look Back In Anger”, “Civil War”, “Blues Jam”, “Paradise City”, “Neon River”, “A Bad Dream”, “Bedshaped” or “Sovereign Light Café”… That’s a big pack of tears to deal with, sometimes provoked by a sentence that touched my heart or simply by the beauty of the moment. And frankly, I wouldn’t deprive myself from these emotions…
 

 
 

 

In category “Those who shouldn’t be put apart because they still can do it”: Status Quo and… nah, I won’t put guys like Lou Reed, McCa or Alice on that one. You can’t put a legend apart…
 
Journalists often mention that some “old bands” should put their instruments on the side and enjoy a well-deserved retreat. Don’t agree! Well… maybe some should probably think of that option. Some of them even say it’s their last tour : take Johnny Halliday, for example… On that one, my friend Sam will probably say he still has yeaaaars before considering that option. ;)
Status Quo also has a long time because going on a retreat: I loved their performance on the Suikerrock stage! They know how to play the music and how to deal with a crowd. And – little thing that can’t hurt – they looked like they were enjoying themselves and loving to perform for the audience and you can say what you wanna say but that remains a important element that the crowd can definitely sense. Show your audience you like to play in front of them and it may give you plenty of love in return…
 

 
In category “So… what are your impressions on music festivals?”: Rock Werchter, Suikkerock and Les Ardentes.
 
Let’s start with the one that hurts: Les Ardentes. Great line-up: famous names (Patti Smith, Morrissey…) with young ones (Edward Sharpe, White Lies…). The hurting point is that Les Ardentes is a very music festival with many paradoxes: at the admitting point, there was an excess of control and you can’t enter the site with your deodorant (and must therefore pay a locker or… throw it in the garbage) but once you’re in it, you have access to so much alcohol that you end up being on a place where you don’t always feel safe at the end of the day. Knowing what happened that year on the camping site, it looks like my feeling wasn’t so much exaggerated.
Rock Werchter is always nice... except when it rains, of course. Main disadvantage of all music festivals… Luckily, we just had a little rain shower and had nice weather all day long after that. Delightful line-up (Dropkick Murphys, Florence + The Machine, Milow… and Red Hot chili Peppers to end the day), very little waiting time in the stands, nice attitude of the staff and the employees and friendly atmosphere between spectators… There’s simply… nothing bad to say about this one. Let’s add that this night, I was attending the live shows but was also checking on the Soccer Euro Championship final through text messages sent by my friends, where my fav team (Spain!) won another Copa. If I weren’t able to see the game live, I were able to check the roja celebrating their victory on one of Rock Werchter’s giant screens. Ha-ppi-ness!
Suikerrock is another music Festival that I warmly recommend you. Based on the town of Tirlemont, this music festival takes place on the main square of the town, right next to a superb church. Mika will express his feeling on that church during his set… The mood is more “family-ish” than Rock Werchter, probably due to the size of the site itself, smaller than Werchter. During the festival, the city transforms itself in a giant marked with streets filled with covered stalls.
Let’s also add that in the middle of that conflicted issues between the two main Belgian communities, Tirlemont – or Tienen in Flemish – is a living proof that everyone should be cautious with prejudices : even though I’m a Walloon, I was welcomed by the citizen as… a Belgian. Here’s something to shut up the mouth of slanderous Flemish and Walloons people!
 
In category “When I see you in your videos, it’s love at first sight and it’s the same thing when I see you for real” : Jack White
 
Well… Jack White has always had a massive effect on me. He’s not super handsome, he’s not a super singer, he doesn’t always write melodies that I like but… once he picks up his guitar and starts a song, something’s happening inside of me. The thing is that I can’t explain to you what happens… but at the end of the day, is it really necessary to explain the why and wherefore when it’s all about music?
Anyway… seeing Jack White on stage is REALLY something that is worth to be seen. Even when you put aside that genius idea of going on the road with two different bands – one female and one male band – and the visual side of the stage (the blue tone linked to the color of his solo album cover and the reminiscence of the number “3”), the performance and the presence of the 6’4’’ guys remain amazing. When he plays a song, that man is both in his own world and in full osmosis with his band… I can live a hundred years, I will always remember that glance he gave to the audience. A glance with a self-confidence close to 2000%. At the same time, when numerous stars often mention his name as a possible collaborator, it may not be that surprising.

 
 

In category “When I see you in your videos, it wasn’t love at first sight but only a wise man changes his mind sometimes while a fool never does” : Noel Gallagher
 
Noel Gallagher and his High Flying Birds will always be the biggest surprise of 2012. I never had a thing for Oasis in my teen years and suddenly, 30 seconds after Gallagher’s band started their set at Werchter, I suddenly turned my head and… fell in love. Then, you can think “Why not?”. But when you stick to Noel and his fellow musicians for weeks after that show and even pushed the limit to go abroad and see him again in Lille, it’s beyond some “Why not?”. What happened? Still don’t know… I though started digging some information on the former guitarist of Oasis. Enough to realize that beyond these wonderful melodies that are way much beautiful when they’re sung by him and not his younger brother, there’s a guy that I feel connected to, that touches my heart and, also… that has that British sense of humor that I care so much about.
Even if, like I wrote it, only a wise man changes his mind sometimes while a fool never does, I don’t want Oasis to come back: I care too much for Mister Gallagher’s self-talent.

 

In category “Those who were the most beautiful encounters of the year… and not only musically talking”: Belakiss and Imagine Dragons
 
How can I not mention these two bands? English band Belakiss were Kasabian’s opening act and I was immediately attracted to their excellent melodies. Very important thing to consider as well, they’re damn good on a stage and seduced the audience when they played in Belgium. Let me also remind you of that funny anecdote of me buying their album in Taiwan when the band practically lives next-door!
 
 

I found out about Imagine Dragons by chance thanks to their “It’s time” video and I thought their music deserved to be spread over the borders. I wrote an article but was far from imagining then how of a big way the foursome would make such in the United States. When I learned they’d bring their music gear in Belgium, I couldn’t miss that moment. And it was an excellent moment, to be honest with you… Musically and personally. Seeing Imagine Dragons live is pure happiness and great energy to feel…
 

 

Belakiss and Imagine Dragons have a few common points…
I won’t tell you much on that subject but these two bands had the particularity of causing very unexpected surprises… Don’t be scared, nothing much to worry about because… these surprises generally brought a large smile on my face.
Important thing, these two bands always have a moment for their fans: after their respective performance, I witnessed them staying near the venue to have a word, have a picture taken or signing any stuff the fans would give them… When musical talent is associated to respect for the fans, it’s impossible for me not to mention that. I hate those artists who are dumba*** because they have some success. Those two don’t play that game and I wish them to remain as humble and nice as they are.
I’ll keep an eye (and ear) on Belakiss and Imagine Dragons because I firmly believe in those two bands : they’re “young” bands and unfortunately still not very well known in our region. Not exactly my type to give up on people I believe in and, moreover… you don’t give up on your “friends”, right? ;)
 
Now would be the perfect time to tell you about those numbers on the article’s title: they’re not tests to get hired by any firm or the secret combination of a vault in which I hid musical jewels… In fact, they’re not even related to what’s written in the previous lines but 2012 is over, let’s be mad for a moment, eh! Although… maybe there might be a little connection…
45… like the 45 artists I saw that year on a stage
6… like the 6 towns my Doc Martens went to
10… like the 10 venues I tapped my feet in rhythm
16… like the 16 new friends I got while attending live shows, coming from…
5… like 5 different countries of the world.
As for the “3510”, well… it’s the number of kilometers I spent on the road, between Belgium and France, to meet with these artists.
 
Wanna know something else? I think 2013 will be as great as 2012. Because my schedule is becoming busier and busier and I will probably had some more dates to add to it as months go by. A little overview?
-      Return of the prodigal Jake Bugg, not as an opening act, but as a main artist
-      The Killers, Sin City’s foursome
-      Let’s keep up with the Las Vegas ‘artists with another foursome, the Imagine Dragons
-      Journey to London to celebrate Mr Clapton’s 50th year career (with his friends : Steve Jordan, Doyle Bramhall Jr or Paul Carrack…) on the stage of the famous Royal Albert Hall
-      The weekend after : same venue (can’t help it, I’m in love with that evnue…), different artist. Another guitar legend, Mister Mark Knopfler.
-      Legend, legend, here comes another one… Mister Springsteen at the TWClassic can’t hurt
-      And finally… meeting again with Robbie Williams after years of “live show separation” 

Besides, I discovered a few great bands/artists over the last few months, or even years, that I’d very much like to see coming in a city of my country: The Chase, The Cornerstones, Expatriate, Nico Vega, Orianthi, The Parlotones, Run From Cover, but also the Canadians of In-Flight Safety.
Can’t forget about the unforgettable ones that I’ve been waiting for years now: Stereophonics, Sixx : AM, The Wallflowers and…well… John Mayer (I’m sure I’ll end up writing him a damn letter to tell him about that very deep sadness of never being able to see him on  a stage near my country!).
What about you? Anything planned already? Emotions put in a box ready to be released one night during a great concert?
 
I can’t end this article without wishing you all a happy new year. May 2013 bring you all the happiness of the world. May it also bring you a lot of music notes to send away the worries and the pain, to revive the joy and happiness, to dance tied up on a sweet ballad or on a rock’n’roll sound, to love or to hate or simply to forget… To change your life or… to make it even more beautiful.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire