mercredi 8 mars 2017

Killer & The Pitchfork Disney – Shoreditch Town Hall (04/03/2017) ENGLISH


So here I am, back in London. At last. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job but sometimes I need to take the pressure off and London (and music!) has always been the best to do so.
This three days trip was filled of theatre vibes: Hamlet at the Almeida and Killer and The Pitchfork Disney, both at Shoreditch Town Hall.
Shakespeare being Shakespeare and even though the famous Hamlet was played by one of my favourite actors (AKA Andrew Scott), these lines are all going to be about the other two. Because there’s plenty of things to say.

Both Killer and Pitchfork share common points: apart from being performed in the same venue, both are directed by Jamie Lloyd and come from the mind of Philip Ridley, the British Jack of all trades (novelist, poet, screenwriter, director, photographer, playwright...) But enough talk, let’s talk about our first play, shall we?

Saturday, 3PM, time for some… Killer.
We are invited to walk across the hallway to enter the theatre. Or… more likely into the building’s basement. Uncommon. This may be an interesting adventure. Headphones are waiting for us on chairs in a dimly-lit square room. Even more interesting. We are now seated, facing the wall when… complete darkness falls! And it begins. With a voice. A man’s voice, the one who will take us with him in three stories…
“A killer! That’s what I am.” This is how it all starts. Am I worried? Naaah, it’s just a play, after all. Erm, well, all things considered… maybe not. Because the killer is here. With me. Sometimes way too close, standing right behind me, softly whispering in my left ear. I don’t even dare turning around to see if there’s really someone behind me. Suddenly, I feel like he’s right in front of me, shouting at me. We all have this invisible and natural bubble we create around us but Killer – as I’ll never know his real name – smashed it in thousand pieces. I have goose bumps, eyes open wide, tears ready to fall: is it because I never blinked less in my entire life or because I am afraid to feel a hand suddenly tapping on my shoulder? I’ll never know… What I know though is that even if my body clearly responded to the voice inside the headphones, I couldn’t help to make a connection between some parts of Killer’s story to past events or to what I do fear for the future of USA.

Mysteries in Shoreditch Town Hall's basements...

Act 2 is much lighter for my blood pressure level and brings back a large smile on my face at specific times: our hero is a funny - not that he’s much aware of it - butler taking care of an old lady, contemplating the habit (boredom?) of his life. Then… the story takes a different turn where old habits are no longer an option. Couldn’t help but wonder if our hero was trapped in a dream. Or crazy. But does it matter in the end? We’re with him in this. Seated in this narrow hallway. As we walk away, I can’t help but have Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer song inside my head as well as images of Scarfe’s hammers in Pink Floyd’s Another Brick in the Wall video. Those of you who are familiar with Ridley’s work may now know what story we were in.



Last act. We’re in another square room, again with low lights. Instinctively, all of us put our back to the wall… maybe act one is still a bit present in our minds, after all. As it should be. I have the (bad?) idea of taking my headphones off for a few seconds. Shouldn’t have. The sound of reality works just as fine as the headphones and I’m walking to the back of the room faster than the speed of light… Still guided by “the” voice, we’re swallowed in the story of a man and his miraculous animal that won’t simply be left alone by another man. Once again, if you live this experience by jumping with both feet in it – which I did - you’ll easily feel the way he feels….
Then… a face appears out of a hole, on my right. So here he is. That’s our voice. Our animal friend. Our old lady caretaker. Our… killer.
What an experience, my friends! Three different stories, driven by fast action, fascinating characters with us wondering what’ll happen in the end and… by John MacMillan’s terrific voice work. Just the one needed for Lloyd’s choice of direction. It’s not easy being noticed when you’re not seen but it is NOT true for MacMillan. Days later, his voice still resonates inside my head. In addition of MacMillan’s voice, the use of the magical binaural sound was an effective production choice. Even though this sound technique sounds really modern, it was that very same technique that was used for the first time in music by the late Lou Reed when he recorded Street Hassle in… 1977.

John MacMillan

That surely was a bold choice for the world premiere of Killer. Throwing one person (or three, one for each story) in the middle of the Shoreditch Town Hall basement rooms, talking to us, looking at us straight in the eyes may have worked. Or… not. Letting the audience use its imagination, playing with them was a much interesting way of exploring Ridley’s monologues. If you have the right environment, the right structure, the right lighting, the right equipment and the right man for the job/voice, you’ll get the attention. And it definitely worked fine on me.

8PM… Time for The Pitchfork Disney, the story of siblings Hayley and Presley (Hayley Squires and George Blagden) living in their home, locked away from the outside world, only leaving their apartment to buy chocolate, their favourite food. One night, Presley sees a young man in the street and, while his sister sleeps, he lets the stranger – Cosmo – enter their world. But was it a good idea?

Once again, we are invited to go down in the basement in one lengthy room filled with many props. We are invited to sit on some of them, to be part of the story, sort of. The length of the room could worry anyone who wishes to get the best seat. Do not: all seats are good because the stage direction is carefully organized. Throughout the story, all actors are moving across the room – our heroes’ apartment – in order for anyone to see them close enough for minutes. Sure, you’ll have to let them go and share them with the few other dozen people. As for me, I am seated in the middle of the room, right next to a bucket and a tap. Hopefully, my reflexes are good enough I grabbed my bag before George Blagden could potentially stumble upon it. Trust me, I couldn’t have ever been closer to an actor than I was that evening.

Hayley Squires as Haley


Earlier that day, I was on Charing Cross pavement, in front of the former Found 111. The day the temporary theatre closed its door, I had a sad feeling that remained for a few weeks afterwards.
Weirdly, it seems that a lot of coincidences always bring me back to the now “dead” theatre. First, Rupert Hands, the associate director of Pitchfork Disney, also worked as associate director on Unfaithful, one of Found 111’s productions. Then Philip Ridley is an alumni of Saint Martin’s School of Art – he started writing The Pitchfork Disney while he was still studying there – and the former school building was… where the Found 111 exactly stood a few months ago.

Rupert Hands (left) and Jamie Lloyd (right) on the set of Killer

The Pitchfork Disney reminded me of the Found because of its specific type of staging. I realize more and more, now that I’ve had a few theatre experiences in London, that these are the ones I love the most. Because you feel like being inside the action instead of watching the action. As a person inside this story, you can have only but respect for all people involved in the project. The ones you see as much as the ones working in the shadows (!).

In the afternoon, I had a conversation with a 10 year-old boy, asking him which of both plays was his favourite. He spontaneously pointed at my Killer programme. Well he’s more clear-sighted than I am because today, I still can’t pick my favourite out of the two. There’s one thing though that did come out of all this: Philip Ridley – as a playwright - sure has a new fan now. I love his writing, the pace of his stories, the cliffhangers, the passion and violence and humour of his words.
Words are a lot like music though: it takes good musicians and a good orchestra conductor to make a theatre symphony work fine. And that was something I got on this March 4th in the basements of Shoreditch Town Hall.

George Blagden and Hayley Squires play with passion, whether they’re interacting with each other or doing their long impressive monologues about their nightmares, real or not. Despite the fact the twins are grown-ups, you sense the childish side of their relationship at times and how their innocence makes them so fragile. Too fragile for the outside world that will attack them.

Hayley Squires (Haley) and George Blagden (Presley)

Cosmo – played by Tom Rhys Harries – is a flamboyant character whose electric energy filled the apartment as soon as he entered it. His interaction with Blagden is captivating: you can see Presley’s definitely intrigued by the young boy but he also found a way to touch deeply Cosmo when he tells him about his deepest fear. Both characters also showed us their funny side, though…
You may even fall for the shiny guy in the red jacket… except when trust is evoked.  Then you feel the intrigue is about to take another turn and you’re not sure whether he’s to be trusted or not…

Tom Rhys Harries as Cosmo

And Pitchork… aaaah that character played by Seun Shote! Can’t give you much about that one except that he will DEFINITELY surprise you in many ways. Not much of a talker but he surely brings a strong effectiveness to the play!

When it comes to directing, Jamie Lloyd is the Editors or Kasabian of theatre. Just like when these British bands release new albums, I never know what to expect with each piece of work but they always end up keeping me on their side in the end. After three adventures in the universe of the British director (Richard III, The Commitments and Dr Faustus), I’m now sure that he’ll always manage to take unconventional roads to surprise his audience. And jeez… I love that! Therefore, I can’t wait to be back in late April to see what magic he’ll work out on Guards at the Taj.
The directing choices made for Killer and Pitchfork were both different but I had much fun attending both. Which is why I can only encourage you to see not one but both of them.

Jamie Lloyd on the set of The Pitchfork Disney

Killer – From February 22nd to April 8th 2017
The Pitchfork Disney – From January 27th  to March 18th 2017

Photo credits : Matt Humphrey (Thanks Alex ;) )

Links :
Shoreditch Town Hall website: http://shoreditchtownhall.com/
Shoreditch Town Hall Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShoreditchTH
Tom Rhys Harries: https://twitter.com/TomRhysHarries
Matt Humphrey website : www.matthumphreyimages.com
Matt Humphrey Twitter : https://twitter.com/31thirtyone




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire