dimanche 1 avril 2012

Belakiss - Belakiss (2011) ENGLISH

I wrote in my review of Kasabian’s live show in Brussels that I’d give you more stuff on their opening act, Belakiss, as soon as I’d have their album in my hands…

If you are one of those who were lucky enough to get a ticket to the show, you may also have been able to have a talk with Belakiss’ members as they were hanging around the merchandising stand after the show. The most cynic person in the world would say that it’s all promotional strategy but the distant watcher I was at first only saw a bunch of musicians being available to everyone. Talk, photos… they were really kind to everyone who came up to them. I really appreciate artists with such attitude and they’ll always get full respect from me, whether I like their music or not. In this case, I liked the songs I heard earlier in the evening and decided to tell them. I’ve had a short chat with Ben Sheldrick who told me they had an album released and tracks available on their website. Noted!

Once I was back home, I – as usual - started digging and found a few interesting videos of the band that sealed the deal. I HAD to find myself a copy of that album. And found only one available through my usual provider. In Taïwan! The thing about music-holics is that they don’t hesitate much when their musical heart has been touched: it took me about 12 seconds to tell myself “Oh what the Hell!” and then clicked on the “order” button. I didn’t hesitate much either when I had to choose between the “standard shipping” or “fast shipping” option. One week later, I had it at home… which button do you think I choose?


While waiting for the album to arrive and already knowing I’d write a review of that album, I looked for information on the band through the Internet.
Belakiss’ lineup may have changed over the course of years but is now composed of – ladies first - Tatia Starkey with Ruari Meehan, Ben Sheldrick and Alfie Milner.
One of those names attracted my attention and one thing leading to another, I found out some of them were already swimming in the world of music from an early age. Which ones? Well… I’ll let you find about it yourself ‘cos at the end of the day, I’m only interested in what an artist can do on his own rather than comparing him or her to what one of his/her relatives did. Even if I have full respect for what these relatives did as musicians.
Finding out this information also put a smile on my face because I realized that Kasabian choosing them as an opening act wasn’t probably a “random” act. This time again, you’ll have to find out how yourself… Yes, this article is one of those to help you understand what it’s like to be a journalist preparing a piece of paper…

The front cover of the album with the band members surrounded by red and purple is interesting: I told myself that was the kind of cover that’d have caught my attention if on display at my record store. Never deny the strength of a good front cover, it may help people coming to you faster than the speed of light… The Corrs’ Talk On Corners, My Darkest Days’ eponymous album and Band Of Horses’ Infinite Arms covers helped me finding out about those bands quicker than radio airplays.



Sometimes, when you’re waiting for something so impatiently, you may found it disappointing once you have it. That was not the case for Belakiss’ album. Even before playing it on my computer, it surprised me by giving me the tracks titles… in Taiwanese. Of course… what else?
Taïwanese issue being fixed, I press “play” and… first track is giving you the feeling that you won’t listen to a dull album. “We Shall Reign Down” is full of energy and that energy remains through the second track, “Run Red”. This one is among those I found on the internet before receiving the album and I couldn’t help but notice the great vocal harmonies within the band. As a matter of fact, once I finished listening to all tracks, that’s one of the things that retained my attention. Ruari Meehan, Ben Sheldrick and Tatia Starkey’s vocal harmonies are definitely a strong positive side of Belakiss that can’t be deny… or ignored.




What about the music then? Well… “Belakiss” sounds musically really good for a first album. Don’t know much about what they did before recording it but I have the strong feeling they’ve had a few hours of live performances all together before entering in a studio for the first time… Musical parts are well-defined and prove each member of the band is definitely needed to make it work. If you listen closely enough, you can hear each of the members’ contribution through their instrument: open your ears wide and you’ll perfectly hear Alfie’s drums, Ruari and Ben’s guitars and Tatia’s bass… If you pay enough attention, you may even hear some sitar on some songs.
In fact, Belakiss’ music isn’t supported by massive or complex arrangements you may find nowadays. Too many arrangements sometimes “kills” the beauty of a melody and can make a song more disappointing than attractive. I’m glad Belakiss didn’t take that road because that makes their music sounds more interesting to me.


Listening to this album put me in a good mood: I couldn’t help myself but smile while listening to songs like “You Are The Only One”, “Only You” or “Till The End Of Days” for example. To be honest, I was dancing to “Paint Your Magic On Me” at home thinking I was all alone when my mum showed up and scared me to death. Couldn’t care less about her seeing me though as she’s now used to her crazy daughter’s reaction to good music… Sometimes, you just can’t hold still to some music that make you feel… well… just good. No one can spit on some happiness those days, right?

If I’d have to give one negative point, it would be that one: I feel sorry that Tatia Starkey doesn’t have a song on her own where she could show her vocal abilities. Don’t get me wrong, I like Ruari and Ben’s vocals (which are quite hard to distinguish) very much but I’m still curious to know what Tatia’s voice sounds like. If it’s a personal choice, I respect it. If not, that’d be interesting to consider that option for the next album…

My favourite track of the album is probably “Finding Is Keeping” for many reasons. First, its melody sticks in your brain for quite a long time and you can’t get rid of it. Can’t tell how many times I’ve whispered the chorus wherever the place I was… Second, I definitely like the guitars parts on that one. And, at last, it’s thanks to this track that I realized I could actually listen to every musical part played by each of them…

The foursome is now back in studio to record a follow-up to “Belakiss” and I can’t wait to hear new tracks… I wish them to finally make it BIG in their own land and bring new friends along in the world. And yes, dear Belakiss… you “shall reign down” and considering the number of fans you got through your tour with Kasabian, that might actually work.
So… to conclude my review, I’d say that yes… “Finding Is Keeping”. Now that I’ve found Belakiss, I have the firm intention of keeping them in my musical heart as long as they’ll make it beat the way they did with that first album.
If you want to find out more about Belakiss, you can join their Facebook page by clicking here.
You can also subscribe to their newsletter and get “Rise” as a welcome gift: it’s over here!



At first, I thought I could pass by something that bothered me but the Big Mouth in me just can’t shut up… I simply can’t understand or admit that an English band had to sign with Ariola Japan (Japan, people! JA-PAN!!!) to be able to record their album. Come on, UK (and US) record companies, it is REALLY time to wake up and clean your ears from all those teen crap stuff you want to sell us! Bring back the real musicians! Let’s get rid of those artists signed only because they’re “good-looking” and “good dancers” but who aren’t able to compose, write lyrics or even talk about what music really is. I’m sick of those: I want people who know what the heart of music truly is, artists who know how to play music and I want them to share it with the outside world… So let me write it down again in capitals letters: RECORD COMPANIES, WAKE UP!!

Belakiss Tracklist :
We Shall Reign Down
Run Red
You Are The Only One
Said Enough
Rise
Finding Is Keeping
Paint Your Magic On Me
Turn Away
Only You
Till The End Of Days
Only You (Acoustic)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire